If your elderly loved one has recently lost a spouse or has been living alone for some time, he or she may be looking for a different living situation. Senior home sharing (think “Golden Girls”) can be a great option for many seniors who are looking to remain independent while also getting some assistance, support, and friendship. There are match up programs available to help seniors find a different living situation.
There are many benefits to home sharing:
- Your loved one will be able to hold on to his or her independence. Instead of living in an assisted living facility, your loved one is able to have personal space and a place to call home.
- If your loved one wants to rent part of his or her home to another senior, it can help to bring in more income. This is a great option if your elderly loved one is struggling financially.
- Housemates can share responsibilities. This includes cooking, cleaning and other household tasks. It can be a great way to take some of the responsibilities off of your loved one.
- Home sharing can offer your loved one companionship. Many seniors are looking for a way to keep busy and enjoy the company of others throughout the day. This can be a great option to give your loved one the companionship that he or she needs.
- House sharing can also bring peace of mind to you and your loved one. Your loved one may feel safer when living with another person and you can feel more comfortable knowing that someone else is keeping an eye on your loved one.
When considering home sharing for your elderly loved one, it is important to work with a respectable and trustworthy match up program. You should work alongside your loved one to make sure that his or her housemate will be respectable, accepting of differences and free of a criminal past.
If you have any questions about senior home sharing opportunities for your loved one, consult with an experienced elder law attorney.