Starting a claim for social security disability benefits is not difficult. You should do some things before you actually start the application that will make the process easier.
Before You Apply
The information you will need to gather before you start the application process is as follows:
- General Information
- Social security number
- Birth or baptismal certificate
- Medical information
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctors, caseworkers, hospitals and clinics that took care of you and dates of your visits;
- Names and dosage of all the medicine you take;
- Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics and caseworkers that you already have in your possession;
- Laboratory and test results
- Employment Information
- A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did
- A copy of your most recent W-2 forms or if self employed your income tax return for the past year.
Applying for Benefits
There are three ways that you can start your application for benefits. You can apply by phone, in person, or online.
- Phone Application – you can begin your application for disability benefits by phone by calling Social Security’s 800 numbers. That number is 1-800-772-1213.
- In Person – You can apply for benefits at your local social security office. To avoid long wait times call the toll free number (1-800-772-1213) to set up an appointment.
Online – Social Security also has an online application process for filing a claim for disability. The advantage of filing online is that you can save your application and work on it at your own pace if you need to gather information. You can also make changes before you submit the application if you make a mistake or forget something. Social Security’s website is www.socialsecurity.gov
- Estate Planning is Essential Whether You Are Married or Not - April 25, 2018
- Income Tax Basis in Estate Planning – Part 2 - April 23, 2018
- The Downsizing Generation: How to Handle a Surplus of Stuff When a Loved One Ages - April 18, 2018