As an adult child, one of the most heart-wrenching decisions you may ever be faced with is deciding that a parent needs the type of care that can only be provided by a nursing home. While the decision is often difficult to make, it may be necessary to keep your parent safe from harm and/or to ensure that your parent has access to much-needed, around-the-clock, medical care. Once the decision has been made, the next step is to choose the best facility, a task that can be equally exhausting, both emotionally and physically. To help you, the Fayetteville elder law attorneys at Wilcox Attorneys, PA offer some tips to help you choose the right nursing home for your parent and navigate paying for the nursing home.
Choosing the Right Nursing Home
The task of finding the right facility for a parent can seem downright frightening. It can be done though if you take the time to do some research and you ask the right questions when interviewing potential nursing home administrators. To get you started, consider adding the following questions to your list:
- What is your staff-to-patient ratio?
- Is there a medical doctor on call 24/7?
- What is your procedure if a resident has an abuse or neglect complaint?
- What type of background investigation do you do on new hires?
- What is your staff turnover rate?
- Have you ever been disciplined or fined for a violation of state or federal laws or regulations?
- What social programs and/or activities are available for residents?
- Can I visit my parent anytime I want?
- Do residents have options for meals or is there a set menu for each meal?
- Do you offer transportation services?
If nursing home care could be, or already is, something you are planning for, talk to a knowledgeable attorney about programs such as Medicaid and Medicaid Pre-Planning. We would be happy to discuss how to pay for long term nursing home care!
Contact a Fayetteville Elder Law Attorney
For additional information, please sign up for one of our FREE estate planning webinars. If you have additional questions or concerns about choosing the right nursing home or other elder law issues, contact an experienced Fayetteville elder law attorney at Wilcox Attorneys, PA by calling 479-443-0062 to schedule your appointment today.
- Trust Administration Tips for the Beginner Trustee - November 7, 2023
- Arkansas Executor Guide: How to Probate an Estate - October 31, 2023
- What Can I Do to Prevent Disputes Over My Estate After I’m Gone? - October 24, 2023